Friday, July 15, 2011

Rough day

Well, this morning started out rough. That bee sting still hurts like a son of a gun and my leg is still red, but not as swollen as it was yesterday. Than, as I walk into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee, there are maggots on the dust pan. Really??? Where did those come from!?! Went to go let the chickens out and of course, the stupid ducks were already in there, pecking at food and everything. ARG!!!!!

I've got to clean my house today before in laws come. I'm just going to spot clean I guess.

I went to check on our new little Jersey Giant chick, and there's bloody stool in the box. Gosh, can't we catch a break around here??? I might have to cull another chicken today, and of course, it's a Barred Rock. She hasn't been looking too great, pale face and such. A friend asked me yesterday how we put a chicken down? Well, lay it down, lay a broom stick on its neck, and simply put ALL your weight on it and roll over the neck. Pretty quick and painless. They flop around for a bit, but that's about it.

I'm just tired of not getting any eggs. I really hope someone starts laying a few soon. It's starting to make me think I'm not in the right "profession". I think I'm just irritated today. We are pretty low on money, barely bought groceries, and the boys are coming home today. Our garden looks like a hot mess, although the mini cucumbers and green beans are growing. So I guess that's good. I hope next season we do a bit better with the garden.

Well, I better go paint the dining room and the floor of the coop....sigh....

Toodles,
TnChickHen

No comments:

Post a Comment